- You are here:
- Privacy & Cookies Policy
Social Mobility Commission Microsite Privacy & Cookies Policy
socialmobilityworks-v5.mystagingwebsite.com is provided by the Social Mobility Commission, a Non-Departmental Public Body sponsored by the Department for Education. The Social Mobility Commission is the data controller for this microsite. A data controller determines how and why personal data is processed.
What data we collect
The personal data we collect from you includes:
- questions, queries or feedback you leave, including your email address if you contact us
- your email address and subscription preferences when you sign up to our email alerts
- information submitted for the Social Mobility Commission Directory including company name, contact points, URL links, company information will be stored on the host server unless we receive information to delete the listing, which will be completed within 7 days from the date of request
- your Internet Protocol (IP) address, and details of which version of web browser you used
- information on how you use the site, using cookies and page tagging techniques
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use this microsite. This includes IP addresses. The data is anonymised before being used for analytics processing.
Google Analytics processes anonymised information about:
- behavior patterns and the pages you visit on this microsite
- how long you spend on each microsite page
- how you got to the microsite (website search engines, organic, referrals)
- what you click on while you’re visiting the microsite
- operating systems and choice of web browser
- devices used to view the microsite
- sessions by country / region
- users by time of day
We do not store your personal information through Google Analytics (for example your name or address).
We will not identify you through analytics information, and we will not combine analytics information with other data sets in a way that would identify who you are.
We continuously test and monitor our data protection controls to make sure they’re effective and to detect any weaknesses.
Why we need your data
We collect information through Google Analytics to see how you use the microsite. We do this to help:
- make sure the microsite is meeting the needs of its users
- make improvements
We also collect data in order to:
- gather feedback to improve our services
- respond to any feedback you send us, if you’ve asked us to
- send email alerts to users who request them
- provide you with information
- monitor use of the site to identify security threats
Our legal basis for processing your data
The legal basis for processing personal data in relation to site security is our legitimate interests, and the legitimate interests of our users, in ensuring the security and integrity of this microsite.
The legal basis for processing anonymised data for Google Analytics is your consent.
The legal basis for processing all other personal data is that it’s necessary:
- to perform a task in the public interest
- in the exercise of our functions as a non-departmental public body
What we do with your data
The data we collect may be shared with other government departments, agencies and public bodies. It may also be shared with our technology suppliers, for example our hosting provider. Where we need to share your personal data with others, we ensure that this data sharing complies with data protection legislation.
We will not:
- sell or rent your data to third parties
- share your data with third parties for marketing purposes
- use your data in analytics
We will share your data if we are required to do so by law – for example, by court order, or to prevent fraud or other crime.
How long we keep your data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as:
- it is needed for the purposes set out in this document
Data we be reviewed and where possible deleted on a six monthly review basis. After which point, your personal data will be securely destroyed. Please note that, under Data Protection legislation, and in compliance with the relevant data processing conditions, personal data can be kept for longer periods of time when processed purely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research, and statistical purposes.
Children’s privacy protection
Our services are not designed for, or intentionally targeted at, children 13 years of age or younger. We do not intentionally collect or maintain data about anyone under the age of 13.
Where your data is processed and stored
We design, build and run our systems to make sure that your data is as safe as possible at all stages, both while it’s processed and when it’s stored.
All personal data is stored in the European Economic Area (EEA). Data collected by Google Analytics data may be transferred outside the EEA for processing.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
We are committed to doing all that we can to keep your data secure. We have set up systems and processes to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure of your data – for example, all site data in transit will be encrypted and protected by SSL.
We also make sure that any third parties that we deal with keep all personal data they process on our behalf secure.
You have the right to request:
- information about how your personal data is processed
- a copy of that personal data
- that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected immediately
You can also:
- raise an objection about how your personal data is processed
- request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances
- If you have any of these requests, get in contact with our Privacy Team.
Links to other websites
socialmobilityworks-v5.mystagingwebsite.com contains links to other websites.
This privacy notice only applies to socialmobilityworks-v5.mystagingwebsite.com, and does not cover other sites that we link to.
Following a link to another website
Following a link to this microsite from another website
How to contact us
Please address any comments, questions or requests about your Data to email@example.com or we can be contacted at Social Mobility Commission, Sanctuary Buildings, 20 Great Smith Street, London, SW1P 3BT, United Kingdom.
Right to lodge a complaint
Where we are processing your personal data with your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent. If you change your mind, or you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, please let us know by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or at:
Social Mobility Commission,
Great Smith St
London, SW1P 3BT
Alternatively, you have the right to raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) via their website at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically, so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated on 4 February 2020.
If you have any questions about how your personal information will be used, please contact us at email@example.com or at
Social Mobility Commission,
Great Smith St
London, SW1P 3BT
For the Data Protection Officer (DPO) please contact us via gov.uk and mark it for the attention of the ‘DPO’.